Tuesday, October 03, 2017

A kind of an ode to Durkee's Famous Sauce

O Durkee's!
Once the love of millions... on salads, eggs, and turkeys,
Between the mayo and the hot sauce,
On every grocer's shelves.

O Durkee's!
You may have been on Mary Lincoln's table in the white house,
At cook-outs and at our house,
But now missing from our markets:
No one wants you any more?

O Durkee's!
Creamy, mustardy, and tangy,
Our little jar, hand-carried from St. Louis
Where Durkee's still appeals.


Durkee's Famous Sauce was invented in New York in 1857 by
Eugene R. Durkee, and advertised by ads like this in the 1880s and 90s.
I found several old ads by randomly searching with google.



Twentieth Century Ads for Durkee's







Durkee's sauce isn't so famous any more. However, we've been enjoying our one jar that Carol brought us from St.Louis, which seems to be the main place where this historic condiment is still well-loved. Maybe Abraham Lincoln liked it on his boiled meat, maybe people used it as a basting sauce for BBQ chicken, maybe lots of people eat it the day after Thanksgiving on sandwiches of leftover turkey, stuffing, and cranberries. Our jar isn't going to last until Thanksgiving, but maybe I'll manage to try it in deviled eggs.

6 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

What a FUN post Mae. I do miss these kinds of posts. Perhaps next time I post, if I do, I'll dig out anther "oldie but goodie."

Hope all is well by you Mae. I'm holding my own "as they say." Take care and Happy Fall!!!

Judee@gluten Free A-Z Blog said...

That is some tribute to Durkees- I have to admit that I never heard of it.

Beth F said...

I think I'd prefer straight mustard, but fun post!

Gail Gauthier said...

I don't know if I could bring myself to try this stuff, but the historical element here is very cool.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Awesome post! I haven't had this stuff in years -- haven't even thought of it. Now, of course, I gotta put in on my shopping list so next time I go to the store I can pick up a jar. :-) Thanks!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I've never had or heard of Durkee's but it looks interesting and the nostalgia is so fun! ;-)