Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Classic Theater, Classic Movie


 Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" appeared Tuesday night on the really big screen at the Michigan Theater. What an awesome film! Exciting in every way -- plot, visuals, characters, scenery, suspense, and more. The final scene on Mount Rushmore is one of the most memorable movie moments ever.




Before the film started, an organist played a concert on the theater organ, which rises from the floor and then sinks back down as he plays his last notes. One of the pieces he played was the theme from Alfred Hitchcock's TV show -- "The Funeral March of a Marionette" by Charles Gounod. Then the lights went down...


So glad Miriam got to experience this!

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh, I'm so glad Miriam was with you. I think it's tremendously important when kids can see movies in a glorious theatre. And Hitchcock -- my fave! I love the Michigan. It's a stunner.

Kills me when they tear down gorgeous theatres or don't restore them. I'm so glad the Michigan made it.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Such a great movie! Great theater, too -- I've never been inside. but have have walked past it a handful of times (on business trips) and wondered what the inside looked like. Now I know. :-)

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

North by Northwest is a movie I have never seen. I know my dad would love this theatre :)

Tina said...

Lovely theatre, reminds me of the kind we'd go to when I was a kid. It's been over 40 years since we had an organist at a theater!

Johanna GGG said...

wow that sounds like an amazing way to see a fab old film - I really love old cinemas and find it interesting that some small ones do quite well in Melbourne though some of the old ones now sit empty - sob!

Pam said...

Good post, Mae! I've watched the movie a couple of times and the final scene was awesome. Not too long ago, I was just telling Bill about movies at the Ohio Theater, in Columbus, years ago, and how great it was with the theater organ music before the movie. I believe it was restored and is playing again today. He had never heard of that. Thanks for the memories and hearing about the Michigan Theater!